Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Veterans of TOO.COM

Blackcat86

NW Ohio
USA Patriots Amputee Softball Team double-header against the 180th FW is being played on August 26, at Mercy Field, 525 S Holland Sylvania Rd, Toledo, OH 43615. The Patriots, all veterans of the US Military, and amputees from service injuries, travel throughout the US and hold events for handicapped and amputee kids, providing support and teaching the kids that they can lead productive and exciting lives.
Members of the undefeated Toledo Rockets championship football teams (35-0 era; '69 - '71) will be honored during opening ceremonies which commence at 1 p.m. Free parking; $5 gate; raffles held throughout the day.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
FB_IMG_1693255995844.jpg

Blackcat86

NW Ohio
Saturday I was at the Patriot Amputee Softball Team games (see above). Before the games, I had a chance to talk to each one about how proud I am of them that they simply never quit, never gave up, and are committed to instilling that attitude among other servicemen and women, and our youth in similar circumstances. The Toledo Police Department in game one and the 180th FW in game two went full bore against the Patriots, with double amputees hitting for extra bases, a one-armed outfielder shagging flies, and then challenging on-base runners trying to tag up. Amazing what these veterans could do! Likewise, before the games, the Springfield HS Junior ROTC drill team and color guard performed with precision and prestige. There may have been a few multi-colored hairdos in the HS band, but military-clad students exuded honor and pride in their appearance and performance. Again, simply amazing!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang. Now that you guys have mentioned it. . . 30 years and 4 days ago I flew into St Louis, was bussed to Fort Leonard Wood, and was sleeping in WWII Army barracks. No AC. Hotter than Satan's taint. Fire guard duty was performed because there were legit concerns of fire. Lol. And to be honest, I was probably silently wiping tears out of my eyes in my bunk at night and wondering how I could be so homesick from a place I was so ready to leave. 🤣. (That didn't last long. They kept us pretty busy. 😁)