Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For starters, I'm a steak and taters guy for the most part. Secondly, in my own humble opinion, I make a better Italian dinner than Olive Garden when it comes to pasta and meat sauce. I had their cheese and crab stuff rottini covered in shrimp and sun dried tomato sauce. It was acceptable, but not fulfilling. It's not that they have bad food, it's just not what I look for in a good meal on the town...

badger

*Supporting Member*
Jesse I agree, Olive Garden sucks!

Burgers tonight!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337039875.039510.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Has anybody heard of a restaurant called Smoke. We've had one down here near Poppadeaxs (SP?) that alot of people have been raving about. I need to check it out sometime but just wondered if anybody here has been there.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I was coming home from deer hunting, (I know this sounds like a bs story but it's the truth lol) A real nice 10 pointer was standing in the road and I did exactly what I tell my wife and 2 daughters not to do, needles to say I hit a little doe that came from the same ditch lol, I took it home and kept the hind qtrs and just cooked them on the grill Saturday.... I wrapped them in bacon and granny smith apples and slow cooked em on the grill (200 for 6 hours).....It was money, one of my buddies said it had to be beef lol.. Of course we had morels and asparagus
to go with it... I will save at least one hindquarter every year for the rest of my life to do it again...;)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds good but can you explain how you wrapped them in bacon and apples? I might try it sometime but need more detail. Thanks!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Did you do a full hind quarter or did you trim it up/part it out first? I couldn't imagine keeping the silver skin and thick fat (probably wasn't much fat this time of year) and cooking it into deer meat. Just isn't like beef for me, the fat in deer just makes it a little too "gamey" for my likings.

Reason I ask, is 8 or 9 years ago, my cousin and I cooked a whole deer on a hog roaster, just like you would a hog, and it turned out fairly shitty IMO.

Sounds good though with the bacons and the apples, I bet a small doe this time of year is tender as can be!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When we do hindquarters, we do our best to trim off the silver skin and any gristle we can get to prior to cooking. We then use an injector and inject the quarter with a cajun marinade, then wrap the whole thing up in tin foil. Set it on the smoker and let 'er rip for 5-6 hours. You'd never know it was deer...

Buckmaster

Portage
When we do hindquarters, we do our best to trim off the silver skin and any gristle we can get to prior to cooking. We then use an injector and inject the quarter with a cajun marinade, then wrap the whole thing up in tin foil. Set it on the smoker and let 'er rip for 5-6 hours. You'd never know it was deer...

Ditto, except I use apple juice.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looks great Badger! Those potatoes look an aweful lot like mine except I add green pepper and onions cut up real small. That pork loin looks perfect!