Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which Drop-Away Rest??

I will be picking up my new bow in the next few weeks and wanted to get all of TOO's opinions on what rest I should be looking at. I have used QAD Ultra Rest in the past and have really liked how it performs but let's hear what you all have to say.... :smiley_cigar:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I like my vital gear kazaway. i had a ripcord, liked it well enough, but when i bought my hoyt a couple years ago it had the kazaway on it so I kept it, and put the ripcord on my daughters bow.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a QAD HD Pro on my Switchback and really like it. That was the 4th one I have owned and all have been good rests. My wife's Mustang has one also. I just put a LimbDriver Pro-V on my Strother Infinity and would also recommend it. Like Greg said, easy to set up and IMO, has less to go wrong than with a QAD.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Limb Driver Pro V on my Elite. Ripcord on my Hoyt. I like both. Not the buy to ask about recommendations though. More experienced guys than me around here.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm a big fan of limb-driven dropaway rests. I shoot the Limbdriver Pro (prong-style launcher). I have not owned or shot the Pro V model but I'm sure it's just as good. The Pro has a launcher made out of spring steel which may offer a bit more forgiveness than the rigid launcher of the Pro V... This is pure speculation on my part, though. Either route you go, you can't go wrong with a Limbdriver.

The Trophy Taker Smackdowns are also very good limb-driven rests.

Is your bow a solo cam or cam and a half or binary? If your bow is solo cam go with a limb driver. If it is a cam and a half or binary I'd suggest a ripcord code red or trophy taker pronghorn.

Just out of curiosity here, Tom, why a limbdriver for a solocam bow but not for a cam.5 or binary?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Anything limb driven is superior IMHO. No need for timing and simple maintenance. I don't want anything tied into my cables if I can help it.

I have a right handed Trophy Taker Smackdown Full containment for sale in the classifieds..It can be limb or cable driven..Its a great rest,but I am going to LH bows in the future..You would be hard pressed to find a bad review on it,and I am asking less then half of what they cost new for it.......

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
There is a fantastic read on the LD and Vapor Trail in this month's Inside Archery addition. Definitely a product I am going to look into. I do not keep up on all the gimmics in the archery industry, but this design carries a lot of clout!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is a fantastic read on the LD and Vapor Trail in this month's Inside Archery addition. Definitely a product I am going to look into. I do not keep up on all the gimmics in the archery industry, but this design carries a lot of clout!

Lots of gimmicks out there, my man... and the LD is definitely not one of them. I think there are a shit load of archers out there who are missing out, simply because they put all of their stock in marketing hype instead of real life performance and testimony.

Just out of curiosity here, Tom, why a limbdriver for a solocam bow but not for a cam.5 or binary?

The few solo cam bow I have tuned always have a nock low tear until I put a Limbdriver on the bow. Limb driven rest supports the arrow longer which allows the string to even out on a solocam bow before the rest drops. The cam 1/2 and binarys dont seem to have this problem because both cams are either slaved together (binary) or are rotating at the same rate (cam 1/2). putting a LD on every bow would be a good option but I really like the TT pronghorn. Its high quality, inexpensive compared to other rests, light weight, complete steel/aluminum construction and only has 9 total parts.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The few solo cam bow I have tuned always have a nock low tear until I put a Limbdriver on the bow. Limb driven rest supports the arrow longer which allows the string to even out on a solocam bow before the rest drops. The cam 1/2 and binarys dont seem to have this problem because both cams are either slaved together (binary) or are rotating at the same rate (cam 1/2). putting a LD on every bow would be a good option but I really like the TT pronghorn. Its high quality, inexpensive compared to other rests, light weight, complete steel/aluminum construction and only has 9 total parts.
Where did you end up nock point to get it to tune? 1/8 -3/16?

Well guys I decided to have the QAD HDX put on it last night and I sure hope I don't regret it after reading your comment Archertl. I really was looking at the Limbdriver from all of your recommendations. The did have one in stock, however both of the guys at the shop quickly discounted it and they would only recommend Ripcord (comparable in price to the Limbdriver) or QAD. They said they have only set up 1 Limbdriver rest in the past and the guy wasn't happy with it and later switched. Rather than argue the qualities of it and since I had great experiences with the QAD on my old bow I chose to go that route.

The few solo cam bow I have tuned always have a nock low tear until I put a Limbdriver on the bow. Limb driven rest supports the arrow longer which allows the string to even out on a solocam bow before the rest drops.

That certainly is my situation as well with the solocam. Unfortunately I wasn't even thinking about that when I made my decision. Well that can always be next year's upgrade if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well guys I decided to have the QAD HDX put on it last night and I sure hope I don't regret it after reading your comment Archertl. I really was looking at the Limbdriver from all of your recommendations. The did have one in stock, however both of the guys at the shop quickly discounted it and they would only recommend Ripcord (comparable in price to the Limbdriver) or QAD. They said they have only set up 1 Limbdriver rest in the past and the guy wasn't happy with it and later switched. Rather than argue the qualities of it and since I had great experiences with the QAD on my old bow I chose to go that route.

That certainly is my situation as well with the solocam. Unfortunately I wasn't even thinking about that when I made my decision. Well that can always be next year's upgrade if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice everyone!!

There probably a better markup for them with the quad versus the limbdriver ..just saying..