Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2020

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looks like a fun trip. Is that the GSP who was under the weather last year with his injury? Ruger was it?
Yes that’s Ruger. Actually for two years he was unable to go more than a couple hours. For now at least, he is getting around really well. Not quite as fast but far better than he was the last couple years. He ran all day every day.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason put it together tonight. Almost. He thought he found where one of the bucks he’s after was hanging out. He snuck in tonight with a set of sticks and an old tree saddle I’ve had for twenty years. With ten minutes of shooting light he dropped his bow to the ground, including the pull rope. Dumb. As soon as he dropped the rope and looked up he could see the bucks antlers coming. Broadside at twenty yards. Lol. He said I could go in there and kill him tomorrow because he doesn’t want to end his season yet. Well, I don’t either. So the plan is for him to crawl back into that bucks bedroom tomorrow. Who knows if he will see him again and even more importantly, who knows if he’s ready to burn that tag. He was pretty excited to make a move and have it play out as hoped...almost.
It was this buck.
CF450799-D05F-47F2-8F5C-D20423994E31.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Mason put it together tonight. Almost. He thought he found where one of the bucks he’s after was hanging out. He snuck in tonight with a set of sticks and an old tree saddle I’ve had for twenty years. With ten minutes of shooting light he dropped his bow to the ground, including the pull rope. Dumb. As soon as he dropped the rope and looked up he could see the bucks antlers coming. Broadside at twenty yards. Lol. He said I could go in there and kill him tomorrow because he doesn’t want to end his season yet. Well, I don’t either. So the plan is for him to crawl back into that bucks bedroom tomorrow. Who knows if he will see him again and even more importantly, who knows if he’s ready to burn that tag. He was pretty excited to make a move and have it play out as hoped...almost.
It was this buck. View attachment 111396
😳

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Brock, years ago, I left my bow in the tree to climb down and twist off a stick that was now in my shooting lane about 15 yd out. My buck came in just then thinking I was another deer working his rub... I looked at him, then up at my recurve hanging in the tree then back at him as he wheeled around and left. He went nocturnal after that...
Here's to hoping Mason has better luck than I.
Rootin for him!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Enjoyed the story Jim! Lol. He claimed the deer never knew he was around and feels he will be back through. The deer has been using a bean field to the west of this thicket regularly. Things may change though as that field was harvested today. It doesn’t really matter if he ever gets a shot at him. There are bigger deer and the real thrill for him was in finding his hiding spot and getting close enough for a daylight sighting. In that regard, he won big. He’s been running a couple bait piles in the area and all buck pics are in the middle of the night of course. He dropped a camera in this thicket a week or so ago and has had daylight pics of several bucks. He accessed the place by wading a creek for half a mile or so and likely snuck right by other bedded deer. I’m sure he’s convinced he’s a ninja. Lol. At any rate, this qualifies as a fine “ all the fun, no mess “ kind of night for him.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Brock, Looks like you and Mason are on another great ride this year.. Enjoyed reading your last couple of posts... Sounded like a great trip to Michigan... Great pics thanks for sharing..

Reactions: brock ratcliff

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That boy of yours never fails to impress me. Knowledge. Patience. Discipline. Wisdom. All much advanced for a kid his age. He has characteristics which many adult hunters fail to master. Thanks for sharing!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m waiting. I’ve snuck into what I believe is a good ones bedroom, at least for now. I did the same last night but pushed in a little farther today. I don’t feel like it’s a good move to go any farther right now. On the ground with the recurve. Rubs say I’m in his house. Hoping he uses this exit. Mason is in the same place as last night. So much fun to just hunt with no expectations. I don’t know which buck I’m close to right now but there are a pile of them here I’d shoot. I’m not at all worried about pushing out of here because I’m on public and in two weeks every state in the union will be represented here.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I didn’t see a deer from my spot. I’d still bet money there was a good one close. Awesome spot. I just don’t think he got on his feet before dark tonight.
Masons buck came through again. This time from behind him. He was in a saddle type stand and couldn’t turn around. Maybe next time. He doesn’t plan to hunt in there tomorrow because I won’t be able to pick him up after dark. Been using the quad to get him as it doesn’t seem to bother the deer at all.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I snuck back to the thicket edge tonight. I was hoping to get a look at the buck leaving big rubs all over the place but only saw two small bucks and a few turkeys. Fun hunt and was the first time I’ve taken a compound to the woods. I thought I might get a long shot opportunity and wanted to be prepared. Should have left that heavy thing at home. Lol
Mason took his recurve to a stand tonight. He saw a few deer but wasn’t able to bring any of them home. He plans to shoot something in the morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This buck has shown up over the last couple days. He’s been cruising through the area where I killed the doe a couple weeks ago. If I can get a crack at this one with my recurve, I’ll let one fly. I’m betting he will use that fence gap in daylight over the next few days. He’s been close but all pics so far have been after shooting light.
942AB46E-B532-4760-BF64-0F68911BA263.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason pulled a card that is over a corn pile at the “gar hole” farm. This deer has been frequent since summer. The last five days he’s been at the corn checking on the girls by 6 every evening. I don’t want to shoot him over corn, but I do think I know where I can kill him with my recurve on his way to the pile. Mason killed one a couple years ago that looked similar, using the same run line. I’m gonna give him a try sometime soon
22B2CA04-33F3-4864-8BF8-5E5499BC82D6.jpeg