Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

1642080400366.png

Dang, very interesting. The last few years Rusty would get up in the middle of the night and he had an unmistakable sound with his feet getting up and going into the kitchen to go out. You had to hurry because he wouldn't wait long, especially this past year. Countless times since he's been gone my wife or I have woke up thinking we were hearing him and started hurrying to get up and let him out. We thought we were going crazy.

Rough night last night. Our oldest dog Koda, 11 year old German Shepherd, had a horrible seizure last night. We’ve had dogs in years past have seizures but I’ve never seen anything like this. It carried on for almost a half hour with her feet constantly going and breathing like I’ve never seen before. She even shit herself. Thought for sure she was taking her last breaths but it kept going on and on. Slowly she stopped moving her feet and slowly came back to us, very groggy and still breathing hard. She started moving around and got a couple drinks of water but still was off. Eventually our small dog was checking her out and Koda grabbed her and wouldn’t let get go. A little while later she went after 2 cats that were curious. She paced the house constantly breathing fast for 2 hours after before finally laying down to sleep. Have an appointment this morning at the vet to have her checked out. Now she seems to be back to normal. Was reading last night that dogs that have long seizures like that often go blind for a while and may explain the pacing and going after the other animals that got too close to her. Damn dogs.

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
My chocolate lab had acl surgery last May. $4000. She slipped on the ice & now has a partial tear on her other leg. Can't really afford the surgery again. Has anyone tried any of the acl braces ? There are a lot of different ones out there.

Back from the vet. Bloodwork looked good, no issues with liver, kidneys, thyroid, etc. She did have a pretty bad ear infection in both ears as well as severe arthritis. Ear infection was a little surprising as she wasn’t really pestering them like she has before. Arthritis wasn’t a surprise for the old girl. Both together could have caused it to happen. Other neurological issues could be there but that is down the road if we even could afford to look into. So she’s on several medications now and the typical old dog supplements. Hopefully it all works for her. Thanks for the thoughts guys!! Definitely appreciate it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been there before, Chuck. It hurts your heart to see it. Hope the pooch mends up with the meds.

Otis doesn't get yelled at often. Raise a voice a little. Change tone of voice to let him know he is in the wrong. He is pretty sharp and self corrects 95% of the time without truly yelling at him. So this morning he was being a dick. Had already been fed. Wouldn't go out. I worked late and was on the couch sleeping. Naturally, at his eye level. He kept pestering me to get up and feed him. I would pet him and he chill for a few minutes. Then back to being a jerk. I yelled "knock.it off! Go lay down!" So I get up an hour or so later to find him pouting behind the couch. He's been here around three years and never gone behind the couch before. Now I feel like the jerk. He did look goofy back there though. Lol
PXL_20220211_135647388.jpg

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Back from the vet. Bloodwork looked good, no issues with liver, kidneys, thyroid, etc. She did have a pretty bad ear infection in both ears as well as severe arthritis. Ear infection was a little surprising as she wasn’t really pestering them like she has before. Arthritis wasn’t a surprise for the old girl. Both together could have caused it to happen. Other neurological issues could be there but that is down the road if we even could afford to look into. So she’s on several medications now and the typical old dog supplements. Hopefully it all works for her. Thanks for the thoughts guys!! Definitely appreciate it.
Dang Chuck. Our oldest dog Hercules has them often. Usually every other month. Not as severe as what you guys went through. Still haven’t figured out what triggers them. He is 11 now and has had them since he was a year or so. His usually only last a few minutes and then it takes him another 5 minutes or so to get hit wits about him. One thing I have found that helps him snap back is to give him something sweet after. A cookie or ice cream. Vet said blood sugar drop could cause em and a dose of sugar will help.

I have seen it done in new zealand. It is an easy thing to train a dog to back sheep. The austrailains like to mystify how they get dogs to back sheep and that only kelpies can do it. We just dont have a need to do it in the us because we dont move hunderd of thousands of sheep a year. Almost every loaded live stock trailer in NZ and austriala has a working dog in a dog box.

Reactions: "J"