Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hey Cotty Whatcha doin?

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
The kids are at home with me today and the house is already a disaster! Later I am making a pork roast with the fixins for the neighbor. She had foot surgery yesterday and just trying to be neighborly.

Beentown

You are nicer than me. My wife yelled at me yesterday for telling her to not take a Christmas card and candy she made to the neighbors! I have a philosphy on neighbors: "We don't have to be friends, we just have to be friendly." That means if you need help, I'll do what I can. But don't expect me to come over for game night. I do feel bad when the little old lady across the road takes her trash out, but I honestly think she likes to as she rarely leaves the house. Guess I'm just a Scrooge...

Tree Monkey

NW ohio

Its kinda cold...u guys staying warm

rrr

Cotty - I bought a hang on and climbing sticks for under $60 today at my meijier... they were sold out of ladder stands but they had previously had them on sales too.

Matt

Norton, OH
I'm right there with Cotty and Tree Monkey. My vacation started at 2:15 on Friday and goes until 7:00 a.m. the Monday after New Years. Only thing that sucks is that I am not a salaried teacher yet. I am an "hourly tutor" even though I might as well be a teacher. Soooo.... I get the time off, but not the pay... Just taking my knocks....

If you guys want to hear what is frustrating... knowing that I will be a teacher, and beyond that still working in the field of K-12 education, I know that I will never be able to go on a lot of the hunts I would like to go on until after I retire... Elk in Colorado, Maine Black Bear, Alaska EVERYTHING with my brother who lives up there.... Ohio Whitetail is very easy to do on a teacher's schedule, but I will never be able to do those trips I want to do... it's a trade-off

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dick's was cleaned out!

Matt, you're right. I love my job and I love my schedule, but in order to pursue hunting other species it will be tough. That is why I like the idea of splitting up the time off instead of having all summer. Ain't shit to do in the summer anyway besides sit on the deck and drink beer.
It's funny you bring up hunting Elk. My oldest boy keeps asking when we are going to hunt elk or mulies. He's been playing too much Cabela's Big Game Hunter.

Matt

Norton, OH
A lot more versatility in a hang-on. I managed to snag a stand from dicks about a week ago. It's a hang-on that is completely adjustable to any tree. Their "original" price was $129 and I got it for $38. That's cheap for a regular lock on so I got it. Probably won't hang it til next year, but there have been a few trees that have been perfect location but got the pass because there wasn't a good level spot to slap a stand.

rrr

You know, I've never gone the hang on route. They always looked alike a shit load of work. I've always used climbers or ladder stands. Maybe I should try a hang on?

Well, I hunt the stand and 2 sections of ladder in my front yard tonight (only good tree l o l and it was still TOO big) and it is a shit ton of work! I will have the handwarmers in and a pair of leather gloves but there will be some cold fingers tomorrow! It is a shit ton of work but I think that it will make me more mobile than just ladder stands. If it was before the snow I don't think it would be as big of a deal. I see why they do it in August! And in the morning when I'm humping the fuggin sticks and stand, 40 pounds of cold metal, across the corn field Greg-style (though I strapped it all together it friggin bulky, again, see why those guys use the lone wolfs and such) I'm sure I'll be cussin!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
COTTY!
MATT!
TREE MONKEY!
Get yer goat-smellin asses outta them racks - it's 5am - REVEILLIE!
You fuggers better be headin to the woods!

badger

*Supporting Member*
I slept in today for the first day of my vacation. Not going to be able to hit the ice as I have a safety award/lunch thing to do in Elyria today. After that my boss wants to go have a few beers, his treat.

My bride is my designated driver so I doubt if I'll be holding back on the beers. Basically it's going to be a wasted day!

Matt

Norton, OH
I just woke up. Just one of those mornings the bed felt good. I got some stuff to get done, plus my dad wants me to help him paint today.... probably try to hunt a little at the beginning of next week. We will see.