Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

Snyder10

Didn't want to start a new thread, so figured this was an appropriate place to ask this question....
With the wind expected to be in the 10-15+ mph range tomorrow, is that too high to be on stand? I use a climber, and always with a harness. With the cold front moving through I'd really like to be in the woods, but on the fence about doing so from a tree. Appreciate all thoughts.
I'm a wimp, my cutoff is 20mph.

whitetailjunky3

Didn't want to start a new thread, so figured this was an appropriate place to ask this question....
With the wind expected to be in the 10-15+ mph range tomorrow, is that too high to be on stand? I use a climber, and always with a harness. With the cold front moving through I'd really like to be in the woods, but on the fence about doing so from a tree. Appreciate all thoughts.
Should be good if your in a solid tree. Might sway a little. Hope you don’t have motion sickness.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
10-15 is fairly normal during the day. Like others said, keep an eye above for dead stuff and you will be fine. 20 mph can be uncomfortable. 25+ dangerous but I have had many top end bucks on trail cam during 30-40 mph winds. Hunters like to use the excuse that they don’t move on windy days so they don’t have to endure it themselves. Sometimes the deer are skittish on windy days but they still move about.

Reactions: giles and Isaacorps

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Up on peach ridge where Dave was kind enough to let me hit a piece of private he has up here. Seems deery

20211015_163911.jpg

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Early muzzleloader in Kentucky. Qhen we pulled into the farm last night a big 8 was crossing the drive I ran him back into the woods thats I'm sitting in. Crazy thing is we have no pictures of him up here. Either just showed up or he's avoiding the cams and corn piles. A little windy from the storms coming thru but the Temps are dropping.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Feels good to be in the woods. Glad I stepped up one level in regards to pants choice. Bit cooler than I anticipated. Had to run a forkhorn out of beans on walk in. Now I have what sounds like a cat in heat in the corn I'm sitting over. Be safe and good luck to those of you out hunting.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Good luck to all you 'TOO' hunters this evening!
20211016_150307.jpg

Hiked in at noon-30 w/ bow & climbing gear into these big woods. Saw 2 antlerless just before setting up on top of this big ridge, right in between 3 massive oak trees w/ fresh acorns all over the place, ready @2:00 p.m.sharp. Now simply waiting on the deer to head towards me for either acorns and/or corn, which the cornfield is another 300-400 yards further to the West. Some good bedding areas are right behind me.

Cornfield to West & this evening's tree setup.
20211016_154925.jpg

Massive Oak Trees w/ fresh acorns all over the place around & underneath me, and a baby Oak Tree, also just below me.
20211016_150449.jpg

View from the stand looking towards the West-NW, over the top of the ridge to the other side.
20211016_141353.jpg

360° Video clip of the View From The Stand.

AH2319

Western PA
Up and set at 3:45 in eastern OH on public. In an oak overlooking a patch of beautiful clover where we’ve been seeing them on camera. Little breezy for my liking but this valley is the most sheltered area here with the wind direction. This area has the heaviest buck sign we’ve located on this property so far. Found a 4 leaf clover on my walk in… I hope that’s a good omen lol. Fingers crossed! Feels great to be hunting a cold front! Best of luck to everyone out there!

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Hunting the same setup on public as my last couple hunts. Forecast called for a W wind which was ehh, blowing strong from the SW which is titties. Solid cold front and post rain, should have em up and moving. Scrapes haven’t been touched yet, but there is a new rub on a fairly big tree. With the amount of deer here I would have to imagine there’s at least one mature buck using this area. @OhioWhiteTails is also hunting out here with me but about a mile away from me. Fingers crossed, it sure feels deery out. Good luck TOO anyone else out.