Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pew pew 2022

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I hunted tusc most of the week on a ridge above 77 where you can hear for a longgg ways. I heard maybe 3-5 shots a day. Sunday the only shots heard were one from me and one from a buddys brother . Maybe a lot of guys are running suppressed 🤔

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Most folks only fill one tag. You cannot base the population model off harvest numbers for this very reason. As was stated earlier, how much effort did the successful hunters put in to get that one deer. If a person is accustomed to seeing ten deer and killing one, if they only encounter five they can still kill one. Net result is the same. The experience is not.

Bowkills

Nw oh
images-2.jpg

Reactions: Mike

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
View attachment 168318
Using their numbers, we have a perfectly balanced herd also @brock ratcliff . With roughly the same amount of bucks and does being killed. I wonder what the average hunters experience is.
So on the farm there's one 16 acre field that had corn this year in it. The same night they finished running the corn I went out to look at it at dusk, there were over 20 deer in the field.

We have a blind in the one corner of that field and 3 deer were shot out of it during the week and it had someone in it almost every evening.

There were only 2 times we saw groups of more than 3 deer together and both were not on the farm proper but neighboring properties.

We shot 1 button and the rest were does of the 17 taken. Most were young does, no big nanny does either.

We've got the farm hard with 20-30 taken the last 3-4 years between bows and guns.

I still say yes the deer are there and eating the corn and soybeans but once they come down there are "better" places they go to because there were days we just didn't see anything to shoot at.

Reactions: Left field

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I'm going to take my grandfather's first shotgun he ever bought out. It's an old pump action H&R he bought for $45 back in the day . It would tickle me pink to kill a doe with it. The shelf lifter and other parts are worn out it's best to be used as a single shot. I've had it to a couple different smiths and they both said unfixable , neither mentioned possibly making any parts so I've been watching GunBroker the past couple years. It's a 16 gauge , I want one to steal parts from but so far in three years I've only seen 2 and one was a 20 gauge and the other a 12 .