Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Fall Outing: Strouds Run October 11-13

Will you be attending this event?

• Yes

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J, glad you are going to make the trip but wish you were arriving earlier! We are planning to come down Friday afternoon, looking forward to it more each day. Squared away one of the guns today!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Me and Chris will be getting there sometime on Friday. Just not sure when but it will be around noon or early afternoon.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
YUP! I will be there! Im pretty stoked.. So from what I gather this will be a muzzle loader weekend correct? Well I dont have a muzzle loader but a guy at work is gonna let me take his, I might just take both bow and gun. My weapon of choice is the bow.. Also just ordered a smoker tonight and im hoping it will be here before the trip..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey, been thinking about sleeping arrangements. If someone needs the bunk in the cabin I'll sleep in the tent or truck bed. If I'm bringing my tent, I might as well sleep in the durn thing! Lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What is all the non hunting business? dang the point is to whack'em, stack 'em, and donate 'em!

Yeah no shit. Lol. The original reason for the hunt and why it's at Strouds was to shoot the snot out of Tonks local deer. They said they have plenty down there. So. If ya don't want em donate em. Ill even drive them to the butcher for ya. I like killing deer. And supposedly they can sustain it down there. I'm gonna stack em like wood.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll be bringing my muzzy and have a good place to still hunt where I bowhunted last year. I just ain't going full bore like some of you guys. I just bought an extra either or tag hoping to use it later when it's colder and I can tag one with a bow. I guess I have to buy another one. Do they have antlerless tags for Athens county for 10 bucks a pop?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll be bringing my muzzy and have a good place to still hunt where I bowhunted last year. I just ain't going full bore like some of you guys. I just bought an extra either or tag hoping to use it later when it's colder and I can tag one with a bow. I guess I have to buy another one. Do they have antlerless tags for Athens county for 10 bucks a pop?

Bag limits are county independent, one antlerless per county. But what you shoot in Athens doesn't count against your home limit. Max 9 for the state.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Bag limits are county independent, one antlerless per county. But what you shoot in Athens doesn't count against your home limit. Max 12 for the state.

The booklet says "The total bag limit is nine (9) with no more than one (1) antlered deer. You cannot exceed an individual county bag limit."

Huckleberry Finn

Yeah no shit. Lol. The original reason for the hunt and why it's at Strouds was to shoot the snot out of Tonks local deer. They said they have plenty down there. So. If ya don't want em donate em. Ill even drive them to the butcher for ya. I like killing deer. And supposedly they can sustain it down there. I'm gonna stack em like wood.

The way that I figure it is getting rid of the pre-game jitters. When someone gets down on here its always "shoot a doe, then you'll be fine when that buck comes in". I fully intend to do just that!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
So in a 4 deer county this year you can only use a single antlerless deer tag and the other 3 deer have to be tagged in with an either sex tag. That is different then the last few years. I don't use my 2 tags EVER but just thought it would be a good idea to let everybody know.
4-Deer Counties
◾
Only one (1) deer may be tagged with an antlerless deer permit in a 4-deer county, Sept. 28, 2013 through Dec. 1, 2013.

◾
The antlerless permit is not valid after Dec. 1, 2013.

◾
Up to three (3) deer may be tagged with either-sex permits in a 4-deer county, Sept. 28, 2013 through Feb. 2, 2014.

◾
No more than four (4) deer total may be taken from a 4-deer county during the 2013-2014 deer season.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You're right. I should have known better than to memory this earl.
I'll be honest, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this new bag limit shit.
Can you only shoot 4 deer in a 4 deer county and shoot 4 more in another 4 deer county? Or only 4 deer in 4 deer counties (plural) then have to move to 3 deer and 2 deer counties to shoot more?

And by the way, what county is Strouds in? (I'm just too fucking lazy to look it up)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'll be honest, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this new bag limit shit.
Can you only shoot 4 deer in a 4 deer county and shoot 4 more in another 4 deer county? Or only 4 deer in 4 deer counties (plural) then have to move to 3 deer and 2 deer counties to shoot more?

And by the way, what county is Strouds in? (I'm just too fucking lazy to look it up)

The way I take it is that if you live in a 4 deer county you can only tag 4 deer total for ALL 4 deer counties. Since I live in Crawford (4 deer county) I would only be able to shoot 3 deer at Strouds and only 1 deer on my home property. Then I would have to move to a 3 deer county where I could shoot 3 deer before moving to a 2 deer county to tag a total of 2 deer. Out of all those deer I can still only have 1 buck and the rest will be doe.

The thing that changed from last year is the fact I can only use 1 antlerless tag per zone for a total of 3 antlerless tags. All the other 6 deer would have to be tagged using either sex tags.

If you buy the discounted doe tags and plan to fill them, guess what, now your going to have to hit all 3 zones since you can only use 1 per zone. I think last year you could buy the discounted $15 tags and use more then just one per zone? example for last year in a 4 deer county " you could tag 2 deer with discounted $15 tags and 2 deer with either sex tags $24 " This year " 1 discounted $15 tag and 3 either sex tags

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
The way I take it is that if you live in a 4 deer county you can only tag 4 deer total for ALL 4 deer counties. Since I live in Crawford (4 deer county) I would only be able to shoot 3 deer at Strouds and only 1 deer on my home property. Then I would have to move to a 3 deer county where I could shoot 3 deer before moving to a 2 deer county to tag a total of 2 deer. Out of all those deer I can still only have 1 buck and the rest will be doe.

The thing that changed from last year is the fact I can only use 1 antlerless tag per zone for a total of 3 antlerless tags. All the other 6 deer would have to be tagged using either sex tags.

Yeah, that's kinda the way I'm thinkin it reads also....

mrex

*Supporting member*

Not exactly Joe. The hunt was Brock's brain child and the reason it's at Strouds was to shoot the snot out of Rex's local deer. When Rex turned out to be a gracious host, the hunt morphed into the TOO fall outing...Brer Rabbit and the briar patch.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not exactly Joe. The hunt was Brock's brain child and the reason it's at Strouds was to shoot the snot out of Rex's local deer. When Rex turned out to be a gracious host, the hunt morphed into the TOO fall outing...Brer Rabbit and the briar patch.

Haha! Nice. Not exactly the way I recall it, but close enough to be considered accurate by most. You folks have plenty of deer (by your own account, and that does seem to be accurate), and you have accommodations to support the gathering. As I recall you saying "Athens County is open for business". This all started while many of us noticed our local herd(s) being much lower and I warned that things may return to the "good ol days" where all flat landers flocked to the hills to chase deer... You did graciously welcome us, but I suspect if the trend continued on a much greater scale it would be less pleasant for ANYONE that currently hunts the hills. Dispersal of deer is most important imo as it directly effects dispersal of hunters. Its no fun to play on an overcrowded playground.