Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Projects Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
31 days, mowed it for first time just in time for a nice soaker to move in this afternoon. Gave it a dose of 12-12-12 on Sunday, hoping the combination of the 3 makes her pop over the next 4wks:

20210526_104404~2.jpg

20210526_115945~2.jpg

Got the remaining staw dried out, moved out of the way and covered. Going to wait until Sept/Oct to do side and front.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It did it ! I survived the ass kicking, back breaking, mallett pounding clayfield. Never will I ever dig thru that shit again. The wall has been totally rebuilt & lowered a few brick depths. I now need to find a small front loader w/ backhoe to level the base.
20210602_152846.jpg

Then the wife gets an idea to extend another wall. I bitched about it, but it was a good call ...

20210602_152926.jpg

20210602_152901.jpg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sucks while you're doing it but the satisfaction of a finished product is nice. Kevin, you've earned several cold ones. And a buck. Now: shoot the buck. Lol

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
The steady rain has done its job and I am very happy to not have sand tornadoes in the backyard any longer lol. That goal was met, 2nd goal of a nice even turf-like lawn is 70% met, but I have no complaints given it was a spring planting in sand. The weeds are putting up a good fight but between the rain and the mowing, I think the grass will crowd it out pretty quick.

I really want to get the side and front done but know it will be better to hold off until fall.....patience is not one of my strengths.
20210608_184439.jpg
20210425_144357.jpg
20210418_192832.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was going to bring this up and ask. Thanks for sharing, Adam. Did you hit it with a good starter fertilizer? Then another shot when it was sprouting evenly? It takes every bit of that fertilizer to get it to germinate. We generally try to hit it with a second round when we have about a 3/4-1" Chia Pet fuzz going on. Don't worry about the weeds. Get "Something" established A little 2-4D makes most weeds disappear pretty quick. I'd leave them until fall. It gives the grass roots something to grab onto and grow.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I was going to bring this up and ask. Thanks for sharing, Adam. Did you hit it with a good starter fertilizer? Then another shot when it was sprouting evenly? It takes every bit of that fertilizer to get it to germinate. We generally try to hit it with a second round when we have about a 3/4-1" Chia Pet fuzz going on. Don't worry about the weeds. Get "Something" established A little 2-4D makes most weeds disappear pretty quick. I'd leave them until fall. It gives the grass roots something to grab onto and grow.

Just the one application of triple 12 a few weeks ago, nothing at time of planting. Will be getting some high N for it soon. I didn't do any soil tests, so figured a leveled approach across all 3 wouldn't hurt off the bat, then give it a high dose for growth once established to reduce chances of burn/stress.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Safe call on the triple 12. Starter is expensive on these large areas. Hit it again while we are getting the rains. It will help you in the long run.

Reactions: 5Cent