Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Competition Harvest Thread

Huckleberry Finn

Please post your harvest pictures here! Simply follow the example below and post your measurements. Our numbers whiz (huntn2) will be calculating the competition scores and keeping the running team scores.

Sample Example of Harvest Pictures

Harvest Shot
Sample 1.jpg
[There is no need to make a sign though]

Beard Measurement
Sample 2.jpg

Spur Measurements
Sample 4.jpg
sample 3.jpg

This bird with 1 1/8 spurs and a 9 inch beard would score 50 points, 20 for the beard and 15 a piece for the spurs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a request for pics but it's not required for the contest. We'll be making another TOO video of all the turkey kills.. The song will be Rhett Akins "Hung up".... Would be cool if yall could take a trophy shot of you beside the hung up bird. No scorecards or anything. Just a good shot of a bird hung by the spurs. I think it would make a kick ass video.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I believe some TOO Turkey Contestants took some youths out today. Anyone snap a picture to submit for their youth bonus points? I am itching to get that leaderboard going so lets see the youth hunts from today and hopefully more tomorrow...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Alright guys, I know some TOO members in the Turkey contest took out youth this weekend. Hopefully you captured a picture or two to post and get your youth/first time hunter bonus. I know buckeye b's grandson was successful at taking a bird and he posted a couple pictures.

To allow this competition to run smoothly. Please keep this thread for all "scoring"posts. For all scoring posts (your bird, "buddy bird" or youth/first time hunter bonus hunt) please include the following:

Team:
Score Type:
- Regular (your bird)
- Buddy (buddy bird called for a TOO member in the competition on another team)
- Youth (youth or first time hunter hunt that you assisted another hunt with and took a picture to share)

If it is a regular or harvested bird:
- Beard(s) length(s) measurement
- Spur lengths measurements

Pictures:
- Regular or Buddy Bird
- Harvest picture
- Beard measurement picture
- Spur measurement picture (each spur must be shown being measured)
- Youth Bonus
- Picture capturing the hunt (Cotty & buckeye b have good examples in the "Live Update" thread

Thanks for your cooperation in posting.

Ryan

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am posting buckeye b's grandsons bird in the format being requested to help standardize how we submit "scoring birds".

Team 4
Youth

buckeye b youth bonus2.jpgbuckeye b youth bonus1.jpg

Again, had this been a bird harvested by buckeye b himself, the beard and spur lengths would be written under youth and pictures of each mesasurement would be provided.

Hope this helps and best of luck to everyone getting after them in the morning.

Ryan

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Team 1 and (whatever team number deerburger is)

First time hunter (of any animal)

Katie works with deerburger and me. She runs our office. Never been hunting at all before and asked in November if we would take her on a turkey hunt. I told her "sure, if you take the hunter safety course and get your license, you got a deal." Well, she did! So, we took her out last Monday morning and sat up in a spot I have killed many turkeys from. On the way out to the blind we heard 2 gobblers sound off about 100 yards away. I thought...man, that'd be cool...but figured we wouldn't see anything since that's what happens 50% of the time when I hunt turkeys. Well, we got in the blind at 6:45. Sun was just beginning to break. We decided to wait about 5 minutes to let things settle from our commotion getting in the blind. 2 minutes into our wait, a doe pops out and walks between us and the deek. That was crazy! I never see deer during spring turkey.

The doe passed and walked into the woods behind us. So, I started to call. Immediately both gobblers from our walk in start sounding off. I call again...same result. I call again...only one talking back, but this time it's closer. (We are offcially 8 minutes into her first hunt of anything at this point). It's like a freaking turkey hunting show:smiley_clap: The tom pops out on the other side of the field we are on along with 2 hens. He would have to cross a small ravine to get to us. I said. "When he gets to where he can see that deek he's gonna run down the ravine to come and fight it. When he gets down to where you can't see him, get your gun up and get ready." Well sure enough, like it was a God ordained miracle, he saw the deek, jumped in the ravine, Katie got her gun up and he popped up on our side. He waltzed over to the strutting decoy and started pecking it's head. He danced around and stuck his head out...I whispered, "shoot him" (he's 25 yds out with his head straight out. I look over at the gun barrel and it's waving around like a flag in a hurricane. The shot rings out. The bird drops and flops. Dead bird. Right in the face.

Deerburger and I jumped up and high fived all over the place. She laughed at us once she quit hyperventilating (stan potts style). We walked over and got the bird. It was now 7:04 An awesome morning.

First hunt. 20 minutes. Calling and response. Attack the decoy. Dead bird. Unreal.

Now she thinks it's easy:smiley_crocodile:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's awesome!!! Good work Hunter brothers!!!

I gotta admit I was a little bummed to see the ring on the left hand! LOL! I was thinking of moving to FL for a minute or two!!! rotflmao

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
You guys are pretty funny. Yes, she's married...and she is pretty rad. ahold...it's an Osceola. It's all we got down here. From Jacksonville to Tampa is the only place in the world they are found. People come from all over to shoot these suckers. An outfitter will charge 1500-3000/ bird. It's crazy. It's all I've ever shot! One of these days I wanna come up there and shoot a big ol' eastern.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys are pretty funny. Yes, she's married...and she is pretty rad. ahold...it's an Osceola. It's all we got down here. From Jacksonville to Tampa is the only place in the world they are found. People come from all over to shoot these suckers. An outfitter will charge 1500-3000/ bird. It's crazy. It's all I've ever shot! One of these days I wanna come up there and shoot a big ol' eastern.

You fellers are always welcome in SE Ohio! Just say the word!!!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio

Not the bird, I have never shot anything but an Eastern BIRD and would love to hunt some of those Osceola's.