Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doggone good dog thread

Big Weff

Athens
Quick snapshot for ya hicks

Attachments

• 20190313_173028.jpg
    20190313_173028.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 260

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Good looking pup. I forgot about maybe being a mixed litter while looking at pics. I’m sure he will be everything you want in a dog. Looks like all lab to me, what other pups look like? Oh and congrats on the new family member.

From the size of head and paws, looking like a hundred pounder in the making.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good looking pup. I forgot about maybe being a mixed litter while looking at pics. I’m sure he will be everything you want in a dog. Looks like all lab to me, what other pups look like? Oh and congrats on the new family member.

From the size of head and paws, looking like a hundred pounder in the making.

Of the 10 pups, there were 2 yellows, 4 chocolates and 4 blacks. The yellows and chocolates look 100% lab and are built more like Americans. Gunnar has the least amount of white on him compared to the other blacks, which is the indicator they are mixed. The other big difference is the 3 blacks that have white streaks, have different coats. A little longer and less oily. I told Tracie after thinking about it not that I've seen the pups, I wonder if the dad has Bernese Mountain dog in him, not rottweiler. His legs have the brown markings and with the longer hair he had on his tail, which is a lab's otter tail, it makes me think that's a likely mix based on the coat of the other 3 pups.

We almost agreed to take two as one of the chocolate females was immediately drawn to Tracie and she loved the duck wing. I'm not sure I'll have another female dog and two puppies is too much, but we were definitely tempted!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I prefer the females as they train easier. Males are more hardy with extreme climates and hard hunts but are more work to get them hitting on all cylinders. Yes there are exceptions to the rule but this has been my experience from having labs for 37 years. I enjoyed every one of them.

Congrats on the new puppy Jesse.

I have only had two male dogs in my life vs six females. Pike will probably be my last. If he wasn't such an outstanding herding dog I wouldn't have kept him. I probably enjoy Pike the least out of my three dogs. Then I work him and remember why I love him. Females are easier to train, stick closer to you, are less goofy, mature faster and don't mark on things. I hate marking males.