Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Gun Season 2019

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Been there done that brother. I winched a quad all the way out of a hollow in WV with a deer on the front. It ran but couldn't get traction on the leaf-covered clay ground. 30 yards at a time and probably 15 winch pulls. I'd stand on the brakes leaning over the handlebars while my nephew ran the cable up the hill. That's how memories are made.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Been there done that brother. I winched a quad all the way out of a hollow in WV with a deer on the front. It ran but couldn't get traction on the leaf-covered clay ground. 30 yards at a time and probably 15 winch pulls. I'd stand on the brakes leaning over the handlebars while my nephew ran the cable up the hill. That's how memories are made.
I had to do the same thing this year in Ohio...30 feet at a time because of the wet ground and incline...but I sure wish I had company, makes it easier when someone else can run the cable up the hill.😂

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I got off work early so I blew the dust off the muzzleloader, hoping to shoot a doe but also sitting here because I never have. Thinking this might be an overlooked spot here, we always go at least a couple hundred yards farther in the woods so it’ll be interesting to see what comes through, if anything. The squirrels are active as hell today. Nice quiet evening here.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I got off work early so I blew the dust off the muzzleloader, hoping to shoot a doe but also sitting here because I never have. Thinking this might be an overlooked spot here, we always go at least a couple hundred yards farther in the woods so it’ll be interesting to see what comes through, if anything. The squirrels are active as hell today. Nice quiet evening here.
I'm doing the exact same thing. Muzzleloader, spot I haven't hunted this year and squirrels are active.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Buddy shot a doe in Burr Oak park, while we still hunted Tuesday. Private hunted Tuesday night, nothing. Wednesday we (9 of us) did deer drives in Zaleski, only saw a few does, no one took a shot all day- a first for us. So much logging over there. Hunted at home this morning saw a 4 pt, button and little doe (siblings?). Did local drives today we shot 1 doe and a small spike buck (he thought was a doe). Headed out on my farm tonight to sit with my boys. Good luck y’all! 🦌

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Winchester Super X rifled slug 12 gauge has done it again. It never disappoint me.
Well, 4 deer came out of the woods on my left at 5 PM all the way down to tree line like 120 yards. I'm up on the tree like, oh shit. Better get my ass up. I'm standing up and grabbed my shotgun. They never moved just eating on the ground. The mom doe was smart. Two little doe and spike buck was beside mom. Mom doe had a feeling like something didnt feel right. Fugg, she changed her mind and walked back into the woods and they all followed her. Gotdamn! Frustrated....you know. I put my head down and was talking to God. I'm like what's going on... bring her out to me and I would like to take her out and put a tag on her. So, you know just a talk with him. Deer never came back. I was bummed out and I'm like it happens for a reason....you know she wasnt suppose to go yet.
Anyway, 535 a deer comes out same way first 4 deer did around 5. So, one comes out then 2nd, then 3rd, and holy shit 9 doe comes out. Thank you, God. They all followed that nannie doe. Nannie doe cam all the way down to 25 yards.....I yelled out meaaah..she stops. Safety off and boom! She bolted until 10 yards then stopped. I'm like the fuck? Did I miss it? After she stood there for 3 seconds....she turned around to go back where she came from. I tell you what she ran faster than forrest gump. Yeah, no lies. Anyway, I get down to look for her. After I waited 45 mins I then went to entered the wood where she went into and tracked her down....blood on the run. Something told me to back out after looking all these blood trail. I'm like, eh....I better back out let her bleed some more. I was bummed out. So much went through my mind. Was it a bad shot? Was it high? Was it you know, blah blah and such. Went to bed worried all night. So, today dad came with me to go find the doe. Dad was on a roll tracking down the blood trail like a damn blood hound dog. I was impressed. I wasnt right in the mind and had so many thoughts about what had happen last night. Well, I be damn...dad said "Hey look, there's your doe". A big smile on my face. I was just 5 yards from her last night after I backed out, the fuck, lmao
IMG_20191205_154120_023.jpg

Last edited:

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Those grey hoodies seem to be the ticket this year! Congrats again
Havent had a luck with gray hoodie....I wore a brown hoodie that day I shot at that doe. My mom bought a hoodie with my last name on it and I never wore it. So, one day i was in basement cleaning. I see that brown hoodie laying on the floor and wondered why I never wore it. So, I said to myself that might be a good luck hoodie. Lol

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Congrats on the doe!

I saw one decent buck at 40 yards walking calmly an hour before dark, which was nice to see. Didn’t see any other deer but my contacts started messing with me, vision got pretty blurry as the sun was setting. Deer would have had to be 10’ away waving towards the end there for me to see them lol. Left with 5 minutes of legal time. Fun sit other than the whole vision thing at the end.

Bowkills

Nw oh
And it happened again. Out for an anterless. A few mins of legal time left I creep up to the field edge to get a better look down the woods line. I instantly say holy shits a big deer standing broadside at 120 yrds. There's number two I could have killed now bigger than the one I tagged. O well. Just hoping a big doe will give me an opportunity. Nice night out!!!!!! Looking forward to morning sits this weekend....